The 23rd Psalm is undoubtedly the best known song in the Bible – maybe in the world.
The writer of Psalm 23 is David:
- David who as a young boy defeated the giant Goliath
- David the shepherd boy who cared for the sheep
- David the adulterer with Bathsheba and the murderer of her husband
- David who suffered the death of his first child
- David who wrote poetry to express his struggles, sins and salvation
- David who could praise God from the mountain tops and scream at God from the valleys of despair
- David who wrote songs and sang them to Kings
- David who became Israel’s best loved King
Out of David’s life came:
- Celebration as well as crying
- Success as well as struggle
- Faith as well as failure
- Sin as well as salvation
Out of a life in so many ways similar to ours, David wrote the 23rd Psalm which Jesus later identified to his own life when he said “I am the Good Shepherd”.